on summers, we hike!

8/01/2014 08:52:00 PM Unknown 0 Comments

British Columbia is beautiful. It says so on every BC plate number. I haven't been to other Canadian provinces myself, but from what I've heard from other people who have been to other provinces in Canada, or people who live somewhere else in Canada and has visited Vancity, nothing can compare to the west coast. I live in the Greater Vancouver area, meaning the area of major cities that surround the City of Vancouver itself.

I am not a city girl. Although I did grow up in a city up the mountain. My home was located on the farther outskirts of town, a good 30 minute commute from the city proper. I was surrounded by trees, mountains, a good view of the valley, lush greenery, and fresh air. Though sometimes that fresh air was nonchalantly pierced by the neighbor's aromatic piggery on our right, the sweet scent of the chicken coops across the house, and a small, humble bakery on our left. I did not get an everyday view of tall buildings and a morning dose of engine exhaust.

When we moved to Vancouver, I knew it was a major North American city. I imagined views of an Americanized Manila, like in the movies. I always thought everything was like the movies. I mean, who didn't?

That's why I was mildly surprised--and relieved--that the city that I was probably going to spend the rest of my life in was not that of a sharp contrast against the lush rurality I left behind. Vancouver, or BC itself to be exact, was the mountainous utopia that satisfied my nature cravings. Although I could do without the horrendously expensive cost of living, I'm glad that some of the best that nature has to offer is just in my backyard.

Since about four years ago, my friends and I have taken into going on hikes every summer. BC is littered with trails to explore and you will never be short on nature trips. There are always lakes, waterfalls, mountains, and breathtaking views to see.

That photo was taken during last year's hike up Garibaldi Lake in Squamish, BC. It was quite the hike--not  just in terms of trail difficulty, but the length will test your drive and your mind. It's a mental as well as a physical battle. It's a good five hour hike on a slightly steep trail...if you hardly stop for a water break. But once you endure all of that seemingly endless dirt trail walking, the sights will astound you. Just seeing a glimpse of those gorgeous blue waters against a snow-capped mountain background will leave you stunned. It's a bloody lake up the mountains. I'm not exaggerating, but if you can, see it for yourself. After the lake, there is an additional trail to go even further up, called Panorama Ridge, or even further up, Black Tusk. That's another 6 hours of hiking and another 7 km. At least.

We didn't go up that extra trail that day (that would require us to camp since we can't make it back in a day), but I'm curious as to what I could see up there. It's practically those mountains in the backdrop. That would be like a bird's-eye view almost. Then again, that's more advanced hiking shit, so...maybe not yet.

There are other easier, more popular trails like the evil Grouse Grind (stairs galore) or the *slightly* more rugged Stawamus Chief. But they both have gondolas to go down now, so that kind of killed the fun. And those trails are so swamped with people, you can smell their sweat and see their garbage and... Yeah, it's not as fun as it used to be. I like going on lesser-known trails, like Garibaldi, although it's slowly starting to gain popularity. Boo-hoo.

I hike, not just to keep my cardiovascular health in top shape, but to appreciate and experience mother nature. I used to hike the Grind for times and crazy "health" purposes like my other friends, but now I just want to take my time and not rush the journey. It's not a race, and I don't want to treat it the way other people who hike the trails do. It's like they're racing with this invisible competitor for bragging rights to no one but themselves. Enjoy the trail, people. Enjoy the trail.

I just recently went on a long hike with friends, on a different trail, and I want to blog about this soon, but I felt like an introductory post was mandatory. I want to include this as a travel log because I'm a tourist in my own country--both the Philippines and in Canada. And traveling by foot is still considered travelling. There's so much in the world that I want to see, including in my adoptive country.

It's summer, so hike with me!

<3

0 comments: