drama insights | last cinderella

8/09/2014 05:26:00 PM Unknown 0 Comments

Next on the rom-com queue is Last Cinderella, starring Shinohara Ryoko, Haruma Miura, and Fujiki Naohito.



This is the second non-teenager drama that I've watched (the first one being Densha Otoko about a thousand years ago... maybe eight). This is not exactly AV, but they talk about sex and sex-related issues. You can see some partial nudity (mostly Miura's ass) and suggestive themes. A ton of suggestive themes.

The story mainly revolves around Toyama Sakura (Shinohara), a 39 year old hairdresser that hasn't had her flower bed watered for ten years. She has basically given up on 'womanhood', according to her close friends Miki (Otsuka Nene), Shima (Iijima Naoko), and even Tachibana Rintaro (Fujiki), her boss at their salon. Sakura and Rintaro were classmates in hairdressing school and have some sort of love-hate relationship, but a bit heavier on the hate side.



Fearing her biological clock running out of time, she sets on to find a love interest before she turns 40. With an invitation from loyal customer Chiyoko (Nanao), she attends a matchmaking party to get things rolling. She then meets Saeki Hiroto, a 24 year old pro BMXer, who charms his way into her heart. Little does Sakura know that Hiroto is Chiyoko's step brother, with whom Chiyoko has sent  on a mission to purposely break her heart. Her reasons? Some serious unrequited love/stalker issues with Rintaro. Choko-chan has made it a lifelong mission to eliminate every woman with possible romantic ties to her beloved, and will use anything within her power to do so.

Sakura has fallen hard for Hiroto. At first she couldn't believe that a handsome young boy would want to play with an oba-san who's practically growing a beard, but she eventually opens up herself to him and sends her hormones into a tizzy.


But cruel intentions eventually turn into a budding romance, because as Hiroto spends more time with Sakura, he eventually develops genuine feelings for her.

...at least, until Rintaro finds out about cute little Choko-chan's ploy. He then confronts Hiroto, but the only way not to potentially hurt Sakura is to give little miss twisted a chance.

But of course, that's nigh impossible since... Rintaro also has feelings for Sakura. Tada! Didn't see that one coming? Yeah, it was too obvious. What's a romantic drama without some sort of love triangle? He makes sure that Hiroto doesn't continue with his mission, and confront his own feelings for Sakura.

Eventually, Sakura will have to pick. Rintaro or Hiroto?

Her choice?









Not the one I was rooting for! Disappointed. Very disappointed. Sigh. Oh well.



The plot is something I've seen before. It's not original, but enjoyable nonetheless. Having seen several rom-coms in a row, this provided a different vibe for me, although much of it still hit that romantic drama spot. I can totally see myself reacting like Sakura to Hiroto's text messages and endless charm bombs. I wish Sakura's romance with the two guys could have blossomed a little more. It was a lot of Hiroto chasing after her and Sakura just going gaga in her own solitude. There wasn't a lot from Rintaro either, not until the very end. Sigh.

I also enjoyed the side stories of Shima's insatiable sex drive and Miki's household dilemmas. The little commentaries were also very creative. I was studying hiragana at the time and it provided a much needed exercise for my studies.

Acting wise, it wasn't overly exaggerated or bland, it was just right. I think some of Miura's smiles were very forced, though. I'm not a big Miura fan, although I liked him in the Kimi Ni Todoke movie. Charming fellow. Just not my taste. Maybe because of his hair?


Very mature role for him, though. They all turn Zac Efron eventually, I guess.

Watching Sakura and Rintaro's trysts were very entertaining, and they always made me want to grab a beer!

And why are Fujiki's teeth so perfect?



They are so straight! I've had braces and they don't look like that.

The gist: 8/10

If you want a break from the usual teen dramas, why not check this out? Lots of other drama fans also enjoyed this, including myself. Not crazy about the ending. But yes. We all have our own preferences. Although I wished it went on just a little longer.

Ps.
I have a thing about feet. I wasn't a big fan of Shinohara's when she was putting on her shoe. Maybe because I was too distracted with the fact that she looked like Filipino comedian Michael V in the opening!


Oh, god, I slay myself.

Gif images from Google Images, owned by corresponding owners

0 comments: