drama rewind | series i've watched in the past

8/13/2014 02:02:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Since I'm on the roll with my drama reviews recently, I remembered some of the note-worthy dramas I've seen in the past before watching Playful Kiss, which rekindled my love for drama in June. I mostly watched some of the more popular ones, as they have been recommended by my friends. These dramas aired between 2005-2010, but I wasn't very up to date with regards to simulcasts, since that was during my gaming era of Maplestory. A lot of these are popular, and there are already tons of reviews circling the internet, so I'll just give a brief little insight. For nostalgic purposes, I came up with this list.

The insights are just of my own personal opinion, and other people might think otherwise, but to each their own, yes? Yes.

1. Densha Otoko



This is a classic. To me, it was what started all this drama business, it's like the mother of all dramas. Who hasn't watched Densha Otoko? It's based on a true story and a novel. Yamada Tsuyoshi (played by Ito Atsushi), a true-to-life otaku, saves Aoyama Saori (played by Ito Misaki) from a drunkard on the train. As a way of giving thanks, she sends him a set of Hermes teacups (wow). Flabbergasted and at a loss on how to react with her, he consults people on a web forum for advice. On which I have to note, this is the first drama I saw Oguri Shun in. Kyaaa! This takes me back many years... I think I may just watch this again to reminisce.

Plus, I think the opening is one of the best I've seen. Not only because it's anime, but the song is really catchy and the animation is cool.


If you haven't seen this, you should. It's a Japanese classic. It's a MUST. Although Yamada's stammering might annoy you.

2. Hana Yori Dango

OGURI SHUN AND MATSU JUN <3


Of course. OF COURSE. If you haven't seen or heard of this drama, you cannot possibly call yourself a drama enthusiast. That includes all of the other Asian adaptations, the Taiwanese Meteor Garden and Korean Boys Over Flowers. I've seen all adaptations of this, with Meteor Garden airing in the Philippines in the afternoon. My favorite adaptation, of course, no question, the Japanese one. Oguri Shun! Matsu Jun! Need I say more? I wasn't a big fan of the Korean adaptation. All I could remember was frickin' Geum Jan Di getting pissed all the time. Anger management problems?

Photo credit: donnapie.tumblr.com

3. Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge



I read the manga, so the live action intrigued me. Another ikemen fest, Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge is about four handsome boys who live in a dormitory, but are strapped for rent money. Their landlady proposes a task that could win them free food and lodging--turn her niece, Sunako, into a lady! It seems they have their work cut out for them when they discover that Sunako-chan is antisocial, plus an avid fan of morbidity, horror, and creepy things to boot. I liked this series, although it wasn't something that stuck to me. This got me started on liking KAT-TUN because of Kamenashi. It's quite funny and I really liked the cute ending <3

4. Hana Kimi



Ikemen paradise. Oguri Shun. Shirota Yuu. FANGIRL MODE, ON! I postponed watching this for the longest time due to its popularity even though it had Shun on it. I've only watched this very recently, yet I feel that I have to include this in my nostalgic drama section because it's about 9 years old. Nine! Just little age reminder for me... T_T

Maki Horikita is Mizuki Ashiya, a girl who pretends to be a guy to enter an all-boys dorm, in an effort to get her idol, Izumi Sano (Shun), to pursue high jumping again. This drama is just filled with fun, one episode after another. MADE ME LAUGH MY PANCREAS OUT. I may be exaggerating, but this is a really funny one for me. Especially Ikuta Toma's monologues.


And this


Stop it! STAHP EEET! Hahahaha!

5. Nodame Cantabile



I love this drama. I really do. It's hilarious, with just a little bit of romance sprinkled on top. It's about a talented pianist named Nodame, who has the biggest crush on her senpai, Chiaki, who aims to be a conductor. The problem is that Nodame is messy and disorganized, while Chiaki is a perfectionist. There are so many other characters involved, which makes it really fun (I especially love Masumi-chan. Oh, god, he just kills me). A highly recommended drama. Great laughs. Great, great laughs.

6. The First Shop of Coffee Prince



Anyone who knows their Korean drama knows about this. This has been given many a praise due to its lightheartedness and funny nature. Another cross-dressing girl series just like Hana-Kimi. Yoon Eun-Hye plays Eun-Chan, a girl who is the breadwinner of her family. She pretends to be a guy just to work in a cafe where waiters are exclusively male. Her boss, Han-gyeol, finds himself falling for her but is horrified at himself because he thinks he's a boy. A Korean drama staple. This drama made me want to eat kimchi fried rice all the time. With coffee. It's just sad that Lee Eon, who played the very sweet Hwang Min-yeop passed away in  2008 :(

7. Heartstrings



Starring the infamous Park Shin Hye and idol Jung Yong-hwa, it's a lighthearted rom-com about college students in an art university. It's a complicated web of side stories, so I can't really put in a quick overview, but it mainly focuses on music and theatrical arts, and Shin Hye and Yong-hwa's love story, of course. One of the few Korean dramas I enjoyed. I called Chris harabuchi for the longest time because of this. And they seriously keep eating some good food. All K-dramas make me crave KBBQ!

8. Zettai Kareshi



Aaah, Absolute Boyfriend. Another heartwarming drama. The gorgeous Hayami Mokomichi stars as a Tenjo Night-kun, mail-order robot who is programmed to be devoted to his owner, Riko Izawa (Aibu Saki). Would you fall in love with a robot? Only if it's Night-kun! Also starring the charming Hiro Mizushima. And they feature BAKING. I think watching Asian dramas make you fat for different reasons.

9. Gokusen 1



I told you this list would be full of popular ones. Gokusen. A school-based drama classic. About a yakuza heir who would rather be a school teacher. She gets assigned to the bottom-of-the-barrel class, who try to make her quit. Too bad for them, she deals with more serious shit in her normal non-teacher life. And of course, Oguri Shun and Matsu Jun are in it, so I didn't let this pass. This drama can be as cheesy as far as cheesy goes, and you either like it or you don't. I personally liked it. A nice break from rom-coms, in my opinion. Beware the atrocious hairstyles of your favorite actors, though.

10. Gokusen 2

If you've seen a Gokusen, you've seen all Gokusen. Season 2 is just basically the same plot, but with different kids. This season had Kazuya Kamenashi and Hayami Mokomichi, so I was fangirling all over the place. Gosh, Mokomichi's so tall! Kyaaaa~

Gif from tumblr


But when season 3 rolled out, I had to pass. It was too much. The kids were also getting younger, thus making me feel older, so I didn't bother. I think I watched the first episode but I already knew what was going to happen. That was also my first Haruma Miura drama. But then again I'm not really a fan, so I moved on.

So there goes my dramas from the past. I bet a number of you have seen most, if not all of the aforementioned dramas. Us ladies know we're in it for the ikemen buffet, for the most part. I want to broaden my drama horizons more, maybe watch some C-dramas or TW-dramas. Maybe, if I'm feeling adventurous, some Thai dramas. I don't know. We'll see.

If there are any blast from the past dramas you would like to recommend, don't hesitate to comment.

Gif from tumblr


<3

0 comments: