book review | the name of the wind by patrick rothfuss

11/04/2014 09:04:00 PM Unknown 0 Comments

It's been a while since my last book review, just like it's been a while since I've been wanting to finish this book.



If you are a Harry Potter fan, I think this book would appeal to you very much. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of similarities between this and Harry Potter, although their general "feel" couldn't be any more different.

The Name of the Wind focuses on the early life of Kote (real name Kvothe which I don't know how to pronounce), an innkeeper at a place called the Waystone Inn. It takes place in a fictional, sort of ancient time, in a world unlike our own.

The book starts off on dark times, filled with demons and magic that people are afraid to tinker with. Kote is the mysterious innkeeper in a small, rural area, where no one knows anything of his past. He keeps to himself and doesn't meddle with townsfolk, and just prefers to tend to his humble inn.

Although all around him, people are talking about legends and deeds of an infamous man named--you guessed it-- Kvothe.

Details about what he has done in his past remain vague. According to hearsay, he is a legend. On the back of the cover of the book it says:

My name is Kvothe

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

He tells his own story in his voice. Straight from the horse's mouth. Legends as he has played them out.

Kvothe was a gifted child. He could remember anything and everything he was taught, learns something in a fraction of the time most adults need to know things. Sometimes, those kinds of kids turn out to be the most dangerous adults.

The most disappointing part of the book was that it was not the complete story. It only goes to so far as to half of his misadventures. It's a real cliffhanger, and if the second book is as much of a cliffhanger as this one, then I won't know what to do with myself. Because apparently it's a trilogy and there have only been two books so far. Sigh.

As far as similarities to Harry Potter goes, I can name a few things:

They are both orphans. Killed by some sort of evil just for kicks, with them being the only survivor. Harry's parents were killed by Voldy, and Kvothe's travelling Ruh family were all killed by the Chandrian, a group of immortal 'demons', I guess you could say, because they're not really human.

The University could very well be compared to Hogwarts, a school for learning magic, or sygaldry and sympathy and lots of other things in Kvothe's world. But Hogwarts is a little more complicated and more magical, and the University just screams learning institution.

Harry has Draco, and Kvothe has Ambrose. But Ambrose is more of a Joffrey Baratheon, if you know your Game of Thrones.

What I do find different about The Name of the Wind in comparison to HP, though, is that it is set on a much darker atmosphere right away. I know it gets a little more serious as the volumes go on in HP, but TNOTW is just all around mysterious.

Also, there are certain differences with Harry and Kvothe. Harry was more of a regular kid, and Kvothe was more seasoned, experienced (in terms of hardships and adventures), and just more gifted. The more that I thought about it, Kvothe was a mix of Harry, Hermione, and Ron. He has Harry's bravery, Hermione's brain, and Ron's... well, financial misfortune.

Also, I think the story of Kvothe has more of a purpose. Kvothe is searching for the mysterious Chandrian, and Harry is just experiencing the wizarding world for himself. Although they were at about the same age when all of this started to happen.

And Denna. Oh, where do I even begin with Denna? Apple of Kvothe's eye. I honestly think she's just some opportunistic bitch and just doesn't want to get on with Kvothe because he doesn't have money. What a gold digger. She really annoys me.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I can't really judge yet how magical it is since it's only the first installation. Patrick Rothfuss can really capture the magic details, although sometimes they might be too much details for a younger mind. I think this book is more for a more mature, I guess more adult audience, although not exclusively.

The gist: 9/10

This is a really good book if you like your magic and adventure. Although I compared it to HP in this post, they couldn't be more different. I thoroughly enjoyed it. They have a lot of similarities, but they each have their own charm. I think HP fans will find this enthralling.

0 comments: